Services of the osteoporosis unit
Given the importance of this type of illness c, the Unit for Osteoporosis and Bone Metabolism at Clinica Ochoa, was created for the diagnosis and study of risk factors in order to establish procedures and control the treatment of patients.
Service Services of the osteoporosis unit
WHAT IS OSTEOPOROSIS?
Osteoporosis is defined as a generalized skeletal disorder characterized by decreased bone mass and micro-architectural deterioration of bone tissue, with a subsequent increase in bone fragility and fracture risk.
Despite being the most common metabolic bone condition, its true incidence is difficult to establish as it is an asymptomatic illness until complications arise; which, combined with multiple etiological factors, makes it difficult to identify those affected by this condition.
Early identification of individuals with low bone mineral density (BMD) and displaying clinical risk factors is of great help in obtaining an early diagnosis of osteoporosis. It also makes it possible to start the appropriate treatment.
This approach is essential in reducing the incidence of vertebral and non-vertebral fractures, a major cause of disability.
Osteoporosis is a common condition in the general population.
75% of women over 50 have low bone mineral density and about 50% of people with osteoporosis develop a fracture during their life.
Various diseases and lifestyle habits such as smoking, drinking alcohol or bad eating habits, may lead to an increase in bone loss, causing osteoporosis at an earlier age.
Factors related to Osteoporosis:
- History of bone fractures after 50.
- Elderly population (> 65 years).
- Early, spontaneous or surgical menopause (<45 years).
- Hypogonadism in men.
- Low calcium intake.
- Smoking and alcohol.
- Maternal history of femur fracture.
- Low weight (BMI <20).
- Prolonged physical inactivity.
- Drugs that increase the risk of osteoporosis: corticoids, some drugs used in breast and prostate cancer, anti epileptics, etc .
- Conditions favouring the risk of osteopenia:
rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory joint diseases, hyperthyroidism, transplants, Cushing´s syndrome, liver diseases and inflammatory bowel disease, hyperparathyroidism, chronic inflammatory diseases and anorexia nervosa, among others.
Clinica Ochoa offers the following services in this field:
- Specialist rheumatologists in osteoporosis and bone metabolism alterations; who perform specialized medical evaluations.
- Central bone densitometry of the lumbar spine and hip, allowing an assessment of the amount of calcium in the bone and making a comparison with the expected bone density according to age and gender.
- Specific blood test.
- Radiological study for evaluation of fractures/vertebral compression.
Assessment report and recommendations for appropriate personalized treatment for the patient
- Control and monitoring of the condition.